Summer Crab and Tomato Salad
Herbsaint Restaurant and Bar, Cochon, and Cochon Butcher, New Orleans
“The acidity of ripe tomatoes is a natural combination with the crab’s clean seafood flavor and a rich, creamy dressing,” writes Link. He adds that peppery watercress, simply dressed with oil and vinegar, makes a great addition on the side.
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 12 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 pound non-pasteurized jumbo lump crabmeat, carefully picked over for shells and cartilage
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- Sea salt
Combine the jalapeño, lime zest and juice, and vinegar in the bowl of a food processor and purée until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and fold in the mayonnaise, mint, salt, red pepper flakes, and cayenne.
Add the crab to the dressing and gently fold together. Slice the tomatoes a little shy of 1/2-inch thick. Divide the tomatoes among 4 salad plates and season with salt. Top tomatoes with equal portions of the crab salad and serve immediately.