Neal Bodenheimer crafted this “sunrise-style” drink based on the highly publicized trial (and recent television series) The People v. O.J. Simpson. The cocktail is irreverent, “because that’s the way we process controversy in New Orleans.”
- ¾ ounce Peychaud’s Aperitivo
- 1 ounce Cathead Distillery Bristow Mississippi gin
- 1 ounce Donner-Peltier Rougaroux white rum
- ¾ ounce orange juice (of course)
- ¾ ounce simple syrup
- ½ ounce fresh lemon juice
- 2 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- Orange peel for garnish
Pour the Peychaud’s Aperitivo into a large double Old Fashioned glass, then fill the glass with cracked ice. Combine in a cocktail shaker the gin, rum, orange juice, simple syrup, lemon juice, and bitters and shake without ice to froth the juices.
Pour the mixture into the Old Fashioned glass. Express the orange peel over the drink and garnish.
Stir to mix in the Aperitivo if you think O.J. is guilty.