Cress Restaurant, DeLand, FL
Inspired by the bright flavors of the Mediterranean and Middle East, this jam is delicious served alongside Hari Pulapaka and Derek Peters' Meyer lemon, ricotta, and spinach gnudi.
- 6 ripe Roma tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 medium red onion, diced small
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat the tomatoes lightly in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Roast on a half sheet tray for about 45 minutes, or until the tomatoes blister and the skin starts peeling. Remove from the oven and let the tomatoes cool,
Meanwhile, in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat, sauté the onions, garlic, and ginger for about 20 minutes, or until the onions are soft and caramelized. Once the tomatoes are cool, peel off the skin.
Transfer the peeled and roasted tomatoes to the pan with the onions. Add the red wine vinegar. Add the sugar and season with salt and pepper. Reduce over medium heat until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Cool completely before folding in the chopped basil.
6 to 8 servings