Gusto - NYC
This recipe comes from Beard House chef Amanda Freitag of Gusto in NYC.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 cippolini onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 fresh plum tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup black olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 six-ounce tuna steaks, about 2 inches thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add onions and sauté until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and water and simmer until tomatoes begin to break down and release their liquid, about 10 minutes. Add olives, capers, and parsley and remove from heat.
Meanwhile, heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until very hot. Season tuna with salt and pepper and add to pan. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the pan and sear two of the tuna on both sides until rare, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Remove tuna from pan and place on a serving plate. Repeat with remaining tuna steaks.
Reheat sauce and spoon over tuna. Serve warm.