Watercress and Raw Mushroom Salad
Author and Educator
James Beard's dinner parties were sought-after invitations, and in 1965 he put together Menus for Entertaining, a still-popular collection of menus that included this simple salad.
- 6 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 grinds of the pepper mill
- 1/2 pound fresh raw mushrooms
- 1 1/2 bunches watercress
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely cut chives
Blend the oil and vinegar and the salt and pepper. You may adjust the vinegar content to suit the individual palate. Also salt and pepper to taste.
Slice the mushroom caps very thin and combine with trimmed watercress. Toss with vinaigrette sauce, and sprinkle with chopped parsley and chives.