Wild Mushroom Toasts
Butter - NYC
Alex Guarnaschelli prepared these simple mushroom toasts at the James Beard Foundation’s Family Chef Series at the Children’s Museum of Manhattan.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3/4 pound wild mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Zest and juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Toasted baguette slices
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the diced onions; season with salt and pepper. Cook the onions until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and lower the heat. Add the thyme and mushrooms; season with salt and pepper once more. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and most of their liquid has evaporated from the pan, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs.
Add the sour cream and let it melt over the mushrooms. Add the lemon zest, parsley, and tarragon; stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Transfer the contents of the pan to a large bowl. Spoon some of the mushroom mixture on top of the baguette slices and serve immediately.
About 15 hors d’oeuvre