Zucchini and Ricotta with Tomato and Olive Oil on Grilled Bread
Riverpark - NYC
Try this simple summer recipe from 2011 Chefs & Champagne® New York participant Sisha Ortuzar.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium-size zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 slices country or sourdough bread
- 1 cup ricotta
- Parmesan cheese, for grating
Pour 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a saucepan over high heat. Add the zucchini and sauté until the edges start to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the zucchini is cooked through but not too soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add the basil, and set aside to cool.
While the mixture is cooling, grill the bread on both sides. Season the ricotta with the remaining olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the seasoned ricotta onto the grilled bread. Top with the zucchini mixture and grate Parmesan over the top to coat.
4 servings as an appetizer