Apple-Citrus Chia Bircher Bowl
Whole Food Cooking Every Day
In Whole Food Cooking Every Day, JBF Award winner Amy Chaplin lends home cooks the tools to master healthy, adaptable dishes across all seasons. With a focus on time-saving methods and plant-based ingredients, like the seeds and fruits in this Apple-Citrus Chia Bowl, Chaplin's book makes healthful cooking accessible and delicious. When it comes to a fresh, nutritious start to the day, it's as simple as a batch of her Chia Oat Bircher Bowl and a few seasonal adornments.
- 1 recipe Chia Oat Bircher Bowl or Grain-Free Chia Bircher Bowl, using 1-1/2 cups water and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup thick coconut yogurt or whole-milk yogurt
- 1 medium to large apple, grated
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup golden raisins, optional
Make the chia bowl following the instructions for the Chia Oat Bircher Bowl recipe, adding the orange juice and yogurt to the blender along with the almonds and blending until smooth. Continue as directed, then mix in the apple, orange zest, and raisins. Because of the raw apple, this should be stored for no longer than 2 to 3 days.
The Apple-Citrus Chia Bircher Bowl is excerpted from Whole Food Cooking Every Day by Amy Chaplin. Copyright © 2019. Photographs by Anson Smart. Reproduced by permission of Artisan Books, an imprint of Workman Publishing.