Chia Oat Bircher Bowl
Whole Food Cooking Every Day
This make-ahead Chia-Oat Bircher Bowl is a great base for an amazing breakfast bowl from JBF Award Winner Amy Chaplin. Make it a meal by making Amy's Apple-Citrus Chia Bowl.
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds, soaked overnight in 2 cups filtered water
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked overnight in 2 cups filtered water
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup whole raw almonds, soaked overnight in 2 cups filtered water
- 3 cups filtered water
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked dried coconut*
Drain the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds in a strainer, rinse under cold water, and set the strainer over a bowl to drain thoroughly. Combine the chia, hemp, and flax seeds in a medium bowl; set aside. Drain and rinse the almonds and transfer them to an upright blender. Add the 3 cups of water, coconut flour, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt and blend until completely smooth, then add the dried coconut and drained seeds and briefly blend or pulse until the seeds are roughly chopped. Pour into the chia mixture, stir well to combine, and set aside for 25 to 30 minutes, until thick and creamy. This can be eaten immediately or stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. It will thicken further in the fridge.
*Note: Flaked dried coconut adds texture to this grain-free bowl. If you can only get shredded coconut, just stir it in at the end rather than blending it.
The Chia Oat Bircher Bowl is excerpted from Whole Food Cooking Every Day by Amy Chaplin. Copyright © 2019. Photographs by Anson Smart. Reproduced by permission of Artisan Books, an imprint of Workman Publishing.
4 to 6 servings