Applications are now open for the 2019 James Beard Foundation Scholarships. This year we're accepting applications for close to 100 scholarships, tuition waivers, and grant opportunities, totaling more than $650,000. Both new and returning scholarships are available, including the JBF National Scholars Program. These scholarships are available not only to those students who are pursuing a culinary education, but also to those studying food systems or sustainability.
New scholarships for 2019 include:
- Tie the Knot Scholarship: Jesse Tyler Ferguson, the host of the 2019 James Beard Awards, is helping us to offer a scholarship of $8,700 to support LGBTQ students who want to pursue a career in the culinary industry.
- Juleps for JBF: five (5) scholarships of up to $8,856, sponsored by Woodford Reserve, will be offered to students from the Northwest, Southwest, Midwest, Northeast, and Southeast who are pursuing an education in beverage studies.
- The Puerto Rico Scholarship for Culinary Arts: supported by chef Mario Pagán, this scholarship supports a student currently residing in Puerto Rico who wishes to pursue an education in the culinary arts, pastry arts, restaurant management, or beverage studies at any accredited institution. One (1) scholarship of $3,750 will be awarded.
- Taste America / Jonathan Gold Memorial Scholarship: offered in memory of James Beard Award–winning writer Jonathan Gold, this scholarship will be awarded to a student residing in or attending school in California.
- The Walmart Rediscovering America Scholarship: ten (10) scholarships of $10,000 will be awarded to women or chefs of color who wish to pursue a career in the culinary arts, pastry arts, restaurant management, or beverage studies at an accredited institution.
Established in 1991, the James Beard Foundation Scholarship Program assists students from across the food community including aspiring and established culinary professionals who plan to further their education at a licensed or accredited culinary school or hospitality institution, college, or university. As of 2019, the Foundation will have awarded more than $8.5 million in financial aid to over 2,000 recipients.
To learn more about the exciting culinary and beverage education opportunities and apply online, visit jamesbeard.org/scholarships. All scholarship application materials must be submitted by May 15, 2019. Scholarship winners will be notified in August 2019.