Eat-Q Test: Extreme Cuisine
Take this quiz to see how much you know about extreme food, from gag reflex-inducing ingredients to record-shattering competitive eating.
1. In the French dish poularde de Bresse truffee en vessie, chicken stuffed with truffles and foie gras is cooked inside of this:
A. A Dutch oven
B. A pig’s bladder
C. A hollowed-out pumpkin
D. Lamb casings
2. Hákarl, putrefied shark meat with a very strong ammonia smell, is a traditional food of which country?
3. The Japanese seafood-serving technique known as ikizukuri roughly translates to what?
A. “Panic Plate”
B. “Prepared Alive”
D. “Electric Guts”
4. How many hot dogs did competitive eater Joey Chestnut eat within ten minutes to dethrone longstanding champion Takeru Kobayashi at the 2007 Nathan’s Hotdog Eating Contest?
5. Which of these dishes was not a dish served at El Bulli, the renowned Spanish restaurant who pioneered many techniques of molecular gastronomy?
A. Sea cucumbers with ham fat and hot yoghurt whey jelly
B. Cured jowl with mustard tower and yuzu powder
C. Baby scorpion fish with black macaroni and five-pepper sauce
D. Bone marrow with kumquat sorbet and fairy ring mushrooms
6. At which fast-food chain did a man order (and receive) a “100 x 100,” a stack of 100 hamburger patties and 100 slices of cheese between two buns?
B. Jack in the Box
C. Steak ‘n Shake
D. In ‘n Out
7. Which Egyptian restaurant in New York City is famous for serving testicles, brains, tongues, hearts and kidneys?
A. Ali’s Kabab Café
B. Kyhber Pass
D. Kati Allo
d writer, Andrew Zimmern.
8. What is the name of the hottest chile in the world, which is over 400 times spicier than Tabasco sauce?
A. Trinidad Scorpion Butch T pepper
B. Ghost pepper
C. Naga Viper pepper
D. Chocolate habanero pepper
9. Which of these dietary practices is fabricated?
A. Fruitiarians, who eat primarily or exclusively fruits, berries, seeds, and nuts
B. Juicitarians, who process their raw plant foods into juice
C. Sproutitarians, who eat primarily or exclusively sprouted seeds
D. Lactotarians, who eat primarily or exclusively dairy products
10. Where is the world’s largest restaurant, which contains 6,014 seats?
B. Abu Dhabi
D. Hong Kong