The 2022 Scholarship Application is closed. Those selected for a Scholarship will receive an email from ISTS to complete an Acceptance Form that must be submitted by June 30, 2022.
View the full list of 2022 scholarships here.
Sign up for our Industry Support Newsletter to receive news and updates about JBF scholarships and our next cycle via email.
Scholarship News and Background
Established in 1991, the scholarship program assists aspiring and established culinary professionals who plan to further their education at a licensed or accredited culinary school or hospitality institution, college, or university. Since then, the program has not only grown in visibility and financial scope, but in the array of subjects its recipients have embraced. As of 2022, the Foundation will have awarded nearly $9 million in financial aid to over 2,000 recipients.
This year JBF will offer three basic types of Awards:
- Scholarships: Cash grants applied to tuition (and sometimes other school-related expenses)
- Tuition Waivers: Tuition waivers granted by educational institutions, which are renewable in some cases
- Work Study Grants: Grants for working culinary professionals under the auspices of the Jean-Louis Palladin Professional Work/Study program
International students may qualify for many, but not all, of our scholarships, and are encouraged to apply.
2022 Scholarships Selection Committee
We'd like to thank the members of the 2022 Scholarships Selection Committee:
- Bleu Adams, Food Entrepreneur and Founder of IndigeHub
- Iliana de la Vega, Executive Chef and Owner at El Naranjo, Austin, Texas, James Beard Award Semifinalist, Southwest (2019), James Beard Award Winner for Best Chef: Texas (2022)
- Lynda Dias, Assistant Professor, Hospitality Management, NYC College of Technology, CUNY
- Ron Gumbaz, Attorney
- Jennifer Hill Booker, Owner, Bauhaus Biergarten & Your Resident Gourmet Cooks!
- James Linabary, Pastry Sous Chef, Audrey and June, Nashville, & James Beard Foundation Legacy Network Alumni
- Anne McBride, Vice President of Programs, James Beard Foundation
- Mary Sue Miliken, Co-Chef/Owner, Border Grill Restaurants, Member of the James Beard Foundation Board of Trustees and Education Chair
- Verveine Palladin, Operations Director, J-Pack Recruitment Services, LLC
- King Phojanakong, Executive Chef, Cook Like King, Small Axe Peppers
- Nicholas Piccora, General Fundraising Manager, James Beard Foundation
- Toni Sakaguchi, Executive Chef, Strategic Initiatives Group, Culinary Institute of America, Copia
- Saran Toby, Executive Chef/Owner, Provisions Café & Market, Germantown, Maryland
Tuition Waiver Sponsors
JBF tuition waiver sponsors give the invaluable gift of education to aspiring culinarians around the country. None of this would be possible without the generosity of these sponsors, who have contributed tuition waivers to this year's program:
Email us for information on becoming a tuition waiver sponsor.
The Jean-Louis Palladin Professional Work/Study Grant
Chef Jean-Louis Palladin is considered one of the culinary geniuses of the 20th century. He was a master of his craft, known for his creativity, passion, technique, and commitment to the very best. Jean-Louis was as much a teacher as a chef, encouraging and mentoring many while demanding perfection of himself and all around him. He was funny, laughed easily, and embraced life fully.
The James Beard Foundation is proud to offer the Jean-Louis Palladin Professional Work/Study Grant. Created to perpetuate the mission and programs of the Jean-Louis Palladin Foundation, the initiative will provide a series of annual grants of up to $4,000 to working chefs.
This grant will allow recipients to spend time learning from and working with master growers, producers, and food artisans; to toil alongside renowned chefs in America and abroad; and to study varied specialized skills. Learn more about the Jean-Louis Palladin Professional Work/Study Grant.
The 2022 Jean-Louis Palladin application is now open. Please submit your application here.
Sign up to receive news and updates about the next Jean-Louis Palladin grant cycle via email.
For more information, or if you are interested in creating a scholarship or donating to an existing scholarship fund, please contact Megan Storms at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For guidelines and FAQs, please visit this page.