James Beard Foundation Restaurant Design Awards
Entries for the 2019 JBF Restaurant Design Awards are now being accepted. The submission deadline is January 25, 2019. The 2019 Restaurant Design Awards will be bestowed at the James Beard Awards ceremony at the Lyric Opera of Chicago on May 6, 2019.
The Restaurant Design Awards consist of three categories:
1. Outstanding Restaurant Design, 75 Seats and Under
2. Outstanding Restaurant Design, 76 Seats and Over
3. Other Eating & Drinking Places (including the following)
• Quick Service Restaurants
• Fast Casual Restaurants
• Counter Service
• Food Trucks
• Food Halls
• Ice Cream Shops
• Cake Shops
• Take Out Counters
• Pop Up Dining Spaces
• Coffee Bars
• Coffee Shops
For the 2019 Awards, any restaurant, bar or other food or drink project that was completed or redone in North America after January 2016 is eligible. Architects, interior designers, and graphic designers may submit their projects for consideration. See our winner archive.
There is a $100 entry fee for JBF members, $150 for non-members. With the support of S.Pellegrino® Sparkling Natural Mineral Water, who is committed to shining a spotlight on divers voices in the industry, the James Beard Foundation will waive the entry fee this year for our Book, Broadcast, and Design awards during the first two weeks of the open call, from October 15 to 29, 2018.
2019 Restaurant Design Awards Jurors
- Anda Andrei
- Wendy Goodman
- Jon Gray
- Casey Jones
- Kelsey Keith
- Stacy Shoemaker Rauen
2019 Restaurant Design Awards Committee
The Restaurant Design Awards Committee is made up of architects, interior designers, writers and graphic designers. The committee both chooses the jurors who will judge the winners and oversees the process.
- James Biber, Chair, Biber Architects
- Annie Block, Deputy Editor, Interior Design
- Craig Dykers, Founding Partner and Executive Director, SnØhetta
- Dung Ngo, Editor-in-chief, August Journal
- Chee Pearlman, Chee Company Inc.