Watermelon–Thai Chile Gazpacho
26 North - Philadelphia
This refreshing bowl of chilled gazpacho just screams summer. Thai chiles and fragrant Thai basil balance out the sweetness of the juicy watermelon and tomatoes.
- 6 cups seedless watermelon, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups seedless cucumber, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 5 leaves Thai basil
- 4 Thai chiles, stems removed
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 1 large tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 12 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for serving
Place the watermelon, cucumbers, Thai basil, Thai chiles, bell peppers, tomatoes, sugar, and lime juice in a blender or food processor. Purée on high until the mixture is very smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Toss the shrimp with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side until cooked through.
Divide soup evenly in 6 bowls. Garnish each bowl with 2 grilled shrimp and a drizzle of olive oil.