Adapted from Olives & Oranges: Recipes & Flavor Secrets from Italy, Spain, Cyprus & Beyond (with Mindy Fox)
Try this simple summer recipe from 2011 Chefs & Champagne® New York participant Sara Jenkins.
- 1/2 cup stale toasted bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large, ripe beefsteak tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup whole basil leaves
- Red wine vinegar to taste
- Olive oil to taste
- Salt to taste
Sprinkle the toasted bread with a little water to soften and place into a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, radishes, and basil. Dress with the olive oil and vinegar and season with salt to taste. Allow the salad to sit for at least 15 minutes before serving. You can also prepare it a few hours ahead of time and allow it to sit for a couple of hours.
4 servings as an appetizer